A weekend in Vancouver Downtown
Vancouver is one of my favorite places. It is clean, beautiful and filled with fun activities to do for adults and kids alike. In this blog post, the focus is on where to stay, eat and what to explore in Vancouver Downtown.
If you are looking for top 10 things to do in Vancouver, check out my other blog post here:
Download my free travel planner and checklist here –
Is a weekend enough to visit Vancouver?
I would say no. But it is enough to get a feel of how beautiful Vancouver is and you can come back and spend more time here. And a weekend is more than enough to explore the Downtown area.
Where to stay in Downtown Vancouver?
Vancouver has a pretty good transit system and if you are closer to a train station, you could visit any place conveniently. For one day or even 2-3 days, I highly recommend staying in Downtown. There are several hotels in Downtown and one of my favorite hotel groups to stay at is the Fairmont. We recently stayed at Fairmont Waterfront and I highly recommend staying here for several reasons –
Fairmont Waterfront is steps away from major attractions like Canada Place, port and harbor. If you are going on a cruise and would like to spend a day or two before your cruise, this is the perfect hotel. It is close to Gastown, there are many restaurants nearby and it is an ideal location to explore the downtown.
The amenities and service at Fairmont Waterfront are unparalleled. The hotel is kid friendly, pet friendly and the staff went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. The pool at the hotel is warm, family friendly and has amazing views of Stanley Park and Downtown. My toddler and I enjoyed the pool and the hot tub with beautiful views. There is an accompanying gym with cardio machines, weight training area and stretching. ARC restaurant at Fairmont is one of the best in Downtown and a great brunch spot.
I loved the architecture of the hotel. The rooms are a good size and the best part – they are kid AND pet-friendly. We really appreciated the crib and doggy bed with goodies ready for us when we checked in. I suggest getting a room with views of Stanley Park or the harbor. The morning sun over the mountains is a sight to see from a higher floor. Book your stay and you won’t be disappointed!
A weekend in Downtown Vancouver
I love the city and Downtown is my favorite places to visit and stay in Vancouver. Based on multiple visit, these are my recommendations and I am sure you will enjoy exploring the beautiful city!
- Walk around Canada Place. Canada Place is a famous landmark where the you can also embark on cruises. Walking along Canada Place gives you beautiful views of the mountains, Stanley Park and Lion’s Bridge. You can also read about history of Vancouver and Canada while walking around Canada Place.
- Grab breakfast/brunch in Gastown. Gastown is the bustling neighborhood next to Downtown and is a must stop. The steam clock of Gastown is world famous and it is also known for great restaurants and brunch spots.
- Explore Stanley Park. Stanley Park is the most famous landmark of Vancouver and is a beautiful park with so many gems to explore. Stanley Park is also home to Vancouver Aquarium which is a must visit if you have kids. I recommend walking to Stanley Park from Downtown through Coal Harbor and Marina. If you want to explore, sea wall and all of Stanley Park, you could rent a bike as well and ride all the way to English Bay Beach.
- Visit to Granville Island. If you love seafood and fresh food markets, take a short ferry or bus ride to Granville Island. It is a market filled with lots of fresh fruit and vegetable shops, exotic cheeses, seafood and restaurants.
- Visit Vancouver Art Museum. If you love art, I recommend visiting the Vancouver Art Museum. In the winter, an ice skating rink is set up near the museum and is a fun place to stop. The museum also has a great restaurant in the premises.
- Shop at Pacific Centre Mall. If you are anything like me and like to shop everywhere you go, stop by Pacific Centre Mall for all the name brand stores. Robson street also has many other stores in addition to the Mall.
- Dine at Arc or the Botanist. After exploring all that Downtown has to offer, I suggest dining at one of the fine restaurants of Fairmont properties – either Arc or Botanist. Both are exquisite fine dining restaurants!
I hope you enjoy exploring my favorite places and recommendations in Downtown Vancouver. Comment below your favorite thing to do in Vancouver Downtown!
PIN FOR LATER
I am Aswani Kurra. I am an engineer, dreamer and part-time wanderlust, writer and wine lover. I always had an urge to write, create and travel. So I created this space to satisfy my creative itch and combine all my skills to help you plan your Charming Escape.